Wednesday, October 5, 2011

FOR SALE


ConocoPhillips [NYSE:COP] announced today that it is seeking a buyer for its 185,000 barrel-per-day refinery in Trainer, Pa., and associated pipelines and terminals. ConocoPhillips will immediately begin the process of idling the facility and will permanently close the plant.

Some of you may or may not know, that this hits close to home for me, for many reasons. 
1) My dad works there. Not easy to find a job at the age of 52, and after you have stuck by a company after its been bought out and sold twice. My dad has been at the same refinery for 24 years. It was first BP, then Tosco, now ConocoPhillips. 
2) I grew up in that area. This refinery and another next door are both going to be shutting down, causing all of that area to just go under. Very sad. 
3) I think people don't realize that getting our oil and having refined out of this country effects us more than we know. Let's say we're getting our gasoline from the Gulf (down there in Texas) and a massive Hurricane hits (Katrina ring a bell). Do you know what it would do to our gasoline supply? Well I do, because North Carolina gets our gasoline from there, and when Katrina hit, we drove for miles because every gas station was shut down. I had NEVER seen anything like it in my life. I remember one gas station has gas for $5.00 a gallon. He was the only one with a supply, so he price gauged. I took a pic (see below).
















So how can we help? Well the refinery needs a buyer. I am sure you don't have billions of dollars laying around or if you did, wouldn't be interested in investing in a refinery. But there are those out there than can and do. So we need to get help. First lets get the government involved. Lets email the State Representatives. They wouldn't want to see Trainer, Marcus Hook, Linwood, Boothwyn, etc go down hill because a closing of a refinery. So we can email them, asking to please help support ConocoPhillips in hope they can get government assistance and stay open a bit longer.  And prayers. Every little bit helps. Not just for me or my dad, but for others that work there. My dad knows a guy that works with him, him and his wife have 8 children. YES! 8 children. The newest addition, a 3 month old baby with a heart defect and has yet been released from the hospital. If daddy loses his job, he loses medical insurance. I can't imagine the stress he is dealing with.

People may think I come across as selfish, heartless or even ignorant. But I have a heart, a huge one. And Tom just gave me permission to give my dad his work email, and any engineers looking for jobs can email their resume to Tom here in NC and he can see if Merck would be interested in hiring them here. We really do care about people, after all this is America. We need to have each other's back. 

EMAIL CONTACTS


Rep. Kirkland - http://www.pahouse.com/contact/viaLDPC.asp?district=159

Rep. Pileggi - dpileggi@pasen.gov

Rep. Meehan - http://meehan.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=58&sectiontree=3,58

Hopefully those work.
Thanks so much! Have a great rest of the week!

~LEIGHANN~

No comments: