Friday, March 7, 2008

Come On People....

Is the title of a book by Bill Cosby. I just finished watching the Oprah episode with him, that I taped. And now I am viewing the Oprah website. Its all about parenting. Here is one thing I read:

"You parents and caregivers who don't want the kids to do these things, don't do them yourselves. That's the first step. If you have other bad habits, like being sloppy or late, don't expect the kids to be neat or on time. You can say, "Do what I say, not what I do," all you want, but when you turn your head, the kids will do what you do. Actions speak louder than words. Whatever behaviors and attitudes you want for the children, you'd better model them in your life."

And I think about myself...what do I do, that I would not want my child to do. I am always late, and partly that is what happens when you have a small child sometimes. Its not always easy to get them to be ready on time. But I realize this is something I have to work on. My mother used to yell and smack me and my sister growing up. And I notice when I get stressed at Ryan, I yell or smack his hand or bottom. And I don't wanna do that. I am so glad I found this site, cause now I have lots to work on, and not only for myself, but for my child!

No comments: